My family

My family
My Family

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Coupons

A couple years ago I decided that I would start clipping coupons from the newspaper inserts and use them to help knock a few cents off our grocery bill.  Since I would be the homemaker and Adam the bread winner, it made sense for me to look for ways to save pennies.  I am not a coupon extremist.  The most I have ever saved using coupons was simply a few dollars. 

In the past month I have watched two episodes of the new show on TLC Extreme Couponing.  The show documents individuals who save outrageous amounts of money by using coupons.

I have mixed thoughts about these individuals and their "hobby".

1.  WOW - I am jealous that you are able to buy groceries for your family that normally would cost several hundred dollars by paying only a few dollars.  Who wouldn't want to get the same amount of food for less money?  Especially with the rising gas prices.

2.  I feel that buying ridiculous quantities of items, just because they only cost pennies or are free is irresponsible.  Okay maybe irresponsible is not the word I am wanting to use.  I am bothered by the fact that many families in our country are struggling to put food on the table.  But yet, a few families have enough cereal to last for years

My question to these extreme couponers featured on the show is why do you not share your blessings.  To me it seems obvious.  If I had a coupon that would allow me to purchase a product for free, then I would get as many as I could and race to the nearest food pantry to drop off the donation.  It makes me feel ill when the cameras would show off the stockpile of food that has been hoarded away.  Sure it was very organized, but is it necessary to store years worth of food and supplies for your family.

So I am motivated to continue clipping coupons to save our family a few dollars.  I wish I had the talent/time/mental capacity to be extreme with couponing to be able to purchase items for pennies or free.  I would be eager to make that donation to my local food pantry.

1 comment:

  1. I agree completely with you! In my opinion they are hoarders! I think they should run to the nearest food pantry! I don't have 6 hours a day to sit around and look for coupons.. I have a 1yr old to raise, a house to take care of, and a husband to feed. I just wonder if they ever take the time to think how much gas they spend going to get the 18 papers to clip the coupons from or the money they spend on printer paper and ink to print their coupons.. And seriously who goes to the grocery checks out 18 different times and then calls 5 friends to come check out for them because of the stores policy! Seriously who spends 8 hours in the grocery store? I just don't get some people. I'm all for saving money but that is a little extreme! Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete