My family

My family
My Family

Monday, April 11, 2011

Random Facts about Breast Milk

Breast milk is an amazing substance.  I was completely unaware of it's greatness until I was a producer of it.  Obviously I knew that human milk is a perfect way to nourish your newborn baby.  Here some other random facts about breast milk.  I have gathered the following information through reading and talking with other mothers.  Some of my information is backed by medical evidence but some of it is just simply my findings that I stored away to pass along to others who might be interested.

1.  Colostrum (the first milk produced) - truly only small amounts are needed to completely satisfy the newborn for the first days.  At birth the stomach is only the size of a marble.  It makes sense to me that this is the reason newborns seem to eat constantly.  Their bellies are soo tiny, they cannot hold and store milk for later.

2.  Breast milk has over 200 components and properties.  Some of these have yet to be identified by the scientific community.  (This statement was presented at a breastfeeding class I took at MOBAP).  I secretly laugh when people tell me that "formula is the same as breast milk".  Clearly, formula cannot be the same when scientists do not even know 100% of what is contained in human milk.

3.  A mother will continue to produce milk for her young until the demand stops.  In the US it is commonly acceptable to breastfeed your baby for 12 months.  Most other countries around the world prefer 24 months.  There are some women who continue feeding their children in this way for years and years.

4.  Breast milk clears up cradle cap!  I can personally testify this is indeed true.  Austin had a horrid case of cradle cap.  Just rubbing some good ol breast milk on his head cleared it right up.

5.  Breast milk also clears clogged tear ducts.  I do not have personal experience with this one, but I have heard from several mothers that it does work.  After seeing the effects with cradle cap, I don't see why it wouldn't work for clogged tear ducts.

1 comment: